walkli
Pale stone facade of Basilica di San Frediano, Lucca, topped by a golden Ascension mosaic with apostles below, tall square bell tower beside it, dusty-blue dawn sky.

The Ascension mosaic, catching the first light of dawn

Basilica di San Frediano

Lucca · Tuscany · Italy

That wall of gold above you is mosaic, not paint — Christ rising into heaven, ringed by twelve apostles, laid at the end of the thirteenth century by the workshop of Berlinghiero Berlinghieri. Look closer: this facade faces east, almost unheard of for a Romanesque church, so at dawn the whole thing catches fire in the sunrise.

Frediano was an Irish-born bishop who took over this see in the sixth century and, so the story goes, stopped Lucca's floods by dragging a garden rake along the riverbank and ordering the Serchio to follow it. The river obeyed. Whether or not you believe that, the church he founded outgrew three rebuilds and got its current form between 1112 and 1147.

Step inside for the real surprise: a marble baptismal font, carved by three different sculptors in three different styles — one signed his name right into the stone, Roberto. Moses parts the Red Sea on one panel; the months of the year march around another. It looks like a committee argued and nobody won.

Then there's Zita. A servant girl who spent forty-eight years working for one wealthy family, sharing her own bread with the poor. Caught red-handed once, so the story goes, she opened her apron to show her accuser nothing but flowers. She's still here, in a glass case in the right-hand chapel, her body found undecayed three centuries after she died. Pilgrims still bring bread and flowers every April.

Gold on the outside, an incorrupt saint on the inside — a church that has spent eight hundred years being quietly impossible to look away from.

Look up at that facade for a moment. A wall of solid gold mosaic glows above the pale stone arcades below — Christ ascending into heaven, flanked by his twelve apostles, laid at the very end of the thirteenth century by the workshop of the Lucca painter Berlinghiero Berlinghieri. In all of Tuscany, only one other church wears anything like it: San Miniato al Monte, across the hills in Florence. Notice, too, which way you're facing. Churches almost always put the altar to the east and the entrance to the west. San Frediano does the reverse — the twelfth-century rebuilders ran out of room against the city walls — so this mosaic faces the sunrise, and at dawn it genuinely catches fire.

The church takes its name from Frediano, an Irish-born cleric who became bishop of Lucca in the sixth century, when the Lombards were carving up Italy and the old Roman walls were falling apart. He rebuilt them. He also, so the legend goes, stopped the Serchio river from flooding the town by dragging a garden rake along its bank and ordering the water to follow the furrow — and it obeyed. Historians have since traced several dry, abandoned riverbeds nearby that hint the Serchio really did shift course around that time, whatever role any bishop's rake actually played. Frediano was buried on this spot, in a church he'd founded for Saint Vincent of Zaragoza, and Lucca simply started calling it his instead.

What stands here now dates mostly from 1112 to 1147, when a wealthy, self-governing Lucca rebuilt the basilica in the severe, banded Romanesque style you'll see across town. Inside, three naves march past columns scavenged from Roman buildings, their capitals a mismatched, secondhand set. Near the entrance sits the church's other great oddity: a marble baptismal font carved not by one sculptor but by three, working in three distinct hands. One, a Tuscan named Roberto, carved his own signature into the stone. Between them they left the parting of the Red Sea, the months of the year as small labouring figures, and six solemn prophets — a committee project that never quite agrees with itself, and is more interesting for it.

A stranger story hides in the chapel Amico Aspertini frescoed in 1508. Aspertini, a restless, eccentric painter from Bologna, covered the walls with the legend of the Volto Santo, the carved crucifix Lucca still venerates as a true likeness of Christ's face. The tale holds that the image drifted to Italy in an unmanned boat, was hauled here by oxen, and was set down for the night in this very church. By morning it had vanished, turning up instead on the site of what is now Lucca's cathedral — a sign the city took seriously enough to build the Duomo there. Aspertini, never one for humility, painted his own face into the crowd watching Saint Ambrose baptise Saint Augustine on the opposite wall.

The chapel to the right holds the reason most visitors actually come. Zita entered service at twelve, in the household of the Fatinelli family, wool and silk merchants, and stayed forty-eight years, sharing her wages and her master's bread with anyone hungrier than she was. Caught once with her apron full of stolen loaves, so the story goes, she opened it to reveal nothing but flowers. She died in 1272. When the city exhumed her in 1580, three centuries later, her body was found entirely undecayed. She lies there still, in a glass case on a bed of brocade, and every twenty-seventh of April, Lucca still brings her bread and flowers.

Before you leave, find the Trenta chapel off the left aisle, where the Sienese sculptor Jacopo della Quercia carved a marble altarpiece and, underfoot, the tomb slab of the merchant who paid for it — easy to walk straight over without noticing. An eastward-facing gold facade, a font carved by committee, a saint who never decayed, a crucifix that chose its own church. Look at that mosaic once more before you go — it will still be catching the light.

Do not miss

Roberto's signature on the font

Look for the small carved lettering on the marble baptismal font just inside the entrance: the sculptor Roberto signed his own name into the stone. His prophets and Good Shepherd sit beside a Lombard mason's Moses cycle and a Tuscan colleague's calendar of the months — three unmatched hands on one font.

Aspertini's self-portrait

In the Chapel of the Cross, among the crowd Amico Aspertini painted watching Saint Ambrose baptise Saint Augustine (1508–09), one onlooker is the artist himself — a signed cameo hidden in plain sight among the fresco's bystanders.

The east-facing mosaic

Unlike almost every other church in Lucca, San Frediano's facade points east rather than west, a compromise forced by the tight, walled site during the 12th-century rebuild. Arrive near sunrise and the golden Ascension mosaic catches the first light of day directly.

The tomb slab underfoot

In the Trenta chapel, watch your step: the polished marble floor slab beneath the altarpiece is itself a Jacopo della Quercia carving, the tomb marker of the merchant Lorenzo Trenta and his wife — easy to walk straight over without noticing it's there.

Good questions

Did a bishop really move a river with a garden rake?

That's the legend Pope Gregory the Great recorded about Frediano diverting the flooding Serchio by dragging a rake along its bank. Modern hydrologists have since traced several dry, abandoned riverbeds nearby from roughly that era — so something shifted the water, even if the rake is probably just good storytelling.

Why does the basilica face the 'wrong' way?

Because there wasn't room to face it the usual way. Rebuilding the basilica in the 12th century, builders found the traditional west-facing entrance would have backed straight into the city's inner walls, so they flipped it — putting the facade, and its mosaic, on the east side instead.

Is Zita's body real, or is that a wax figure?

It's her actual body. Exhumed in 1580, three centuries after her death in 1272, and found undecayed — a discovery that helped push her toward canonization in 1696. She still lies in the Fatinelli chapel on the right, dressed and displayed on a bed of brocade.

Practical
Entry
€4 full price (€3 reduced); free for under-12s and Lucca-province residents
Time needed
20–30 minutes
Good to know
The mosaic faces east and reads best in soft morning light; the Zita chapel gets busy around her April 27 feast, when Lucca brings her bread and flowers.
Where
Piazza San Frediano, inside the walls, a short walk north of the Anfiteatro
Piazza San Frediano, Lucca · ~100 m across

Map data © OpenStreetMap contributors

Around the world
Listen · 2 min